Although I'm no longer following the Slimming World plan it has been part of my life on some level for more than 20 years now. It's been a long story and one that is a big part of my life.
Way back in 2004 I joined Slimming World for the 1st of many times.
To set the scene, it was January and my Dad was telling me he had agreed to go along to the local SW with his neighbour. To say I was surprised was an understatement, but I knowing how he was not a fan of salad and 'diet foods' I decided that I should be able to do it as least as well as them, and thought I'd join them.
Previously to this the only thing I'd ever done in an attempt to lose weight was to drink diet coke and choose low fat mayo when shopping. My idea of being 'good' was a healthy ready meal.
I had once looked up local WW clubs but instantly dismissed it as not something I'd be able to do. The thought of calorie or point counting seemed too hard. I wanted to be slimmer but had spent so many years hearing I was 'big boned' that I assumed there was nothing much I could do about it.
So we went along, and learnt about the plan, which back than was Red and Green days. I got on the scales and was stunned to see I was 15st 1.5lb. I knew it was bad but had no idea I was that heavy.
I cracked on with it, sticking mainly to Green days and eating tons of pasta, SW chips and Quorn. Quorn was rubbish but in spaghetti bolognese or a sausage casserole it was passable. I was all about quantity over quality! Occasionally I'd go Red, but would always panic at the thought of the potential lack of carbs.
I really had a fear of being hungry, something to dig into later I think, but it explains why I couldn't face the thought of a calorie controlled diet. I genuinely thought it wouldn't be enough food for me.
Over the next year, I stuck to it like glue, weighed and measured my Healthy Extras and Syns and worked out several times a week. I was still drinking every weekend but had swapped my Smirnoff Ices for vodka and diet mixers - and I was still 20 something so managing to get away with it!
By Christmas I had lost 4 stone!
I immediately put on a couple of pounds (My friend brought Krispy Kreme doughnuts to celebrate as I hadn't had one all the way through, unfortunately she got a dozen and over 24 hours we polished off all of them between us) but I did stay around the same sort of weight for a year or so. I was still going to group, still exercising and generally loving life.So far, so good.
My first pregnancy was in 2009, and as it progressed all my good intentions went out the window. I left the group and piled the weight on, I was more than fine with this as for the first time it was 'ok' for me to be big. It was something to sort after the baby was born.
The day I was induced I got on the scale and found I was 15st. This amazed me, not because I'd put on so much weight but because I was 42 weeks pregnant and not the heaviest I had ever been!
My plan was to go back to the group but life got in the way. We moved to Cyprus when baby was 6 months old and so I didn't see the point in joining for such a short time when things were so crazy at home too. There were no groups in Cyprus that I knew of at that time either so I'd have to leave anyway.
I was confident I could go it alone however, I'd lost 4 stone after all so I knew how to do it.
Didn't I?

Comments
Post a Comment