Skip to main content

Fit'n Fab 4 Fifty - A re-introduction

Hello again,   

It's been a fair while so I thought a re-introduction was necessary.  I started this blog about 2 years ago in an attempt to stick to a plan and lose weight / get fit as I approach my 50th birthday.  The actual blog never took off, instead I stuck to posting occasionally on @fitnfab4fifty Instagram  I do love a bit of insta and I have enjoyed finding lots of fitness related accounts to follow,  so much so that they are starting to show up on my original insta account now!

I blogged for many years over at 'A Matter of Choice'  which was originally started around the time we moved to Cyprus, and continued with random posts over the years about anything that I fancied.  So I think I struggled a bit when it came to this as I didn't have to time or inclination to do it with the same level of commitment. 

But there is so much I want to say around this as I find my way through,   in my first post here I said  please come along for the ride as I detest the overused 'fitness ' weight loss journey'.    Not sure I like 'new chapter' either but it is what it is!  I've often thought that I would love to be able to get all this down on 'paper' so here we go. 


I'd love to dig down into my back story but for the moment I'll try and keep it brief...

I generally thought of myself as a fat kid, and tried to dodge all forms of exercise in case it was uncomfortable, or made me look silly.  I didn't join in with games and attempted to skip any PE lesson I could. 

I didn't eat healthily,  processed foods,   sweets after school every day,  crisps and chocolate at lunch. 
As I got older I discovered alcohol,  and when I moved out from home my diet didn't get any better. 

Gradually I put on weight,  obviously. 

I tried joining gyms a couple of times,  but I had no idea what I was doing and it was hard so I never lasted more than a few weeks at a time. 

In 2006 I joined Slimming World and it did change my life, (click to read my Slimming World story here )

I lost 4 stone in a year going down to a size 12.   I had started exercising at home doing Ministry of Sound and Davina workouts.   The workouts were hard but for a year I really worked my arse off. 

When I got to my target I eased off but pretty much stayed there until my first pregnancy, and while I had good intentions at the start I ended up by eating ALL OF THE THINGS. 

That was nearly 18 years ago, and in that time I re joined SW many many times,  and had a 2nd baby.  At a rough guess I would say I've lost at LEAST 12 stone with SW over the years, 2 stone after 1st baby,   2 stone after the 2nd, again a few years later and so on.  I of course never considered that SW might not be the way forward,  I just assumed it was a 'me problem'

I've had periods of time where I've worked out regularly at home being on it 100%, until I'm not.   I only ever worked out to lose weight, I genuinely didn't understand why else you would. 

In lockdown the boys and I did PE with Joe,  and for the first time I started to realise there might be something in the idea that exercise is so much more than for weight loss.    

Then the world reopened and I went to the pub. 

Fast forward to 2024,  I had gradually put on more and more weight.   I was never walking up the stairs when I could use the lift.  My knees were bad, my back ached, I'd hurt so much if I had a day on my feet or walking far.   I was getting short of breath whilst walking the dog. 

One really hot morning on a dog walk I stopped in the shade and just thought, this is getting out of hand. I was 46 and I realised that this would only get worse.    

I came home, got out a notebook and started writing. 


I didn't continue writing but I did start this blog, and my 2nd Instagram account, and it was the start of where I am now,   it's taken me two years to get to this point,  a point where I feel like I'm on the right path.   Its not an easy path by any means but I feel like I've stopped wandering around in a field near the path.  

I'm not sure that analogy makes sense but I like it. 

I have been working out regularly since November last year,  and back in May I joined Team RH,   it's been an eye opener for sure!

Join me on Instagram for updates,  and here when I get the chance!  

New chapter fit 4 fifty


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the secret?

Hi,  its been a while hasn't it.   Turns out that starting a blog didn't immediately give me the motivation to get fit 'n fab,   or even write a few posts, I barely managed a handful of Instagram posts.    But here we are,  I've just had my birthday and so I'm 3 years away from 50.   I have eaten cake today but I have done yoga and a cardio workout so it's at least a baby step forward.  As I've been struggling to get started with the blog I thought I'd dive into the archives of my original blog, where I'd written several Slimming World related posts over the years,  including my 'story'.   The one that I'm going to share today is short, but I wrote it approaching my 40th birthday.    I did go onto to lose a couple of stone and stop smoking between then and now so I do have previous for actually doing what I say I'm going to.   ( I may have put the weight back on, but I haven't smoked for 6 years)...

Taking another first step for 2025

Happy New Year!  No prizes for guessing what's on my mind today.... Predictably now that Christmas and New Years have passed many people's thoughts turn to weight loss and health improvements as they get back to their routines and look the the year ahead.    Since starting this blog (and then mainly just posting on instagram ) I had lost 1/2 stone,  and then promptly put that back on again.   Although I'd not concentrated on the food for very long,  I did start rebounding most days from October to mid - December  (at which point I had a couple days off with various random aches and pains,  and was then distracted by all things shiny and Christmas)     I am yet to completely abandon all things chocolate and cheese but I have been out on some longer dog walks,  including fun in the snow up in the mountains with the family,   as well as starting again slowly on the rebounder with Jump&Jacked Beginner Friend...